This is the Day


                “This is the day that the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it” Psalms 118:24.  A straightforward verse with pretty simple instructions-God made the day, we should rejoice. Simple enough until “life” enters the picture.
Life that begins like, “This is the day” my children have complained and fought all morning.  “This is the day” my husband lost his job.  “This is the day” I received the cancer diagnosis from my doctor.  Or “This is the day” I received the call that my child was gone.
How do I rejoice then?  The bible states that our rejoicing should be a result of the day we are living in, not the circumstances that surround it.  Yet, we’ve all experienced times in life that made us feel as though we wouldn’t make it through the day, much less be able to rejoice in it.  The loss of a loved one, in particular can leave us feeling numb and without direction or hope.  The surrounding questions of “why” and “how” seemingly unanswered.
We are promised in John 16:33, “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you will have trouble; but take heart I have overcome the world.”
Many times in life, we find ourselves searching for someone who understands our situations and has been through our struggles.  It seems to help fill the void and provide hope and direction.  There is just something about connecting with others who have survived similar struggles and turmoil. 
There is no one better to search for when our hearts are troubled over loss than God.  It is not a coincidence that He allowed His son to die for us.  Not only did He take our place, but through the pain and loss, God is able to say to us without a doubt; “I understand what you’re going through and you will make it to the other side.”
I pray today that if you are struggling in your circumstances, remember what God told the Israelites, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt; open wide your mouth and I will fill it.”  Psalm 81:10
God longs to fill the voids in our lives with His love and mercy.  We’ve tried everything else, why not try Him.  I pray “This is the day” you try God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight- Proverbs 3:6

Right Behind God