How Do You Approach Weight Loss?

A little more than six years ago, November 30, 2005 to be exact, I embarked on a journey. November may seem a strange time to start a journey such as this one; (why not wait until January like everyone else,) yet I decided I was going to lose weight and now was the time.
It was a journey I feared I would never take, and one I certainly didn’t think I would finish. I had been overweight since high school, and worse was the fact that I was so embarrassed by my weight, I couldn’t find the courage to reach out for help.
So I spent years hiding my guilt and shame and secretly trying to lose weight on “fad 3-day starvation diets”, watching my eating habits spiral out of control and my approach to weight loss get more and more frightening.
Now in my early thirties with two small children full of energy and life and their mother with little energy and frustrated about life, it was time.
My journey began with a very impulsive first visit to a weight loss support group. Closing in on 200lbs., I nearly cried as I looked at the number on the scale; I hadn’t weighed myself in years.
To my amazement, a little more than 5 ½ months later, I was nearly 50lbs. lighter and completely changed, (and not just physically.)
Although the program I joined is a phenomenal one, I noticed something missing. Shortly after losing weight I began to work as a “meeting leader.” Over the course of three years I watched hundreds of men and women lose thousands of pounds, yet what I saw even more were men and women coming through the door and beginning a cycle of “join, lose, leave,” “join, lose, leave”
It was a cycle that would cause many to ask, “Why were you successful the first time? After serious thought I realized, I had approached weight loss in a completely different manner this time. Realizing I had not been successful in the past, I desperately needed God’s help. I remember vividly one evening shortly after beginning my journey praying, “God, if you will help me lose this weight, I promise to give you all the glory and praise.”
Now six years later, God has blessed me tremendously helping me keep the weight off and a ministry where I can give him the glory and praise everyday, while helping others approach weight loss through him too. Have you struggled with your weight? Are you struggling with giving up once again? Try approaching weight loss with God’s help. If you’re still not sure he can help, remember one simple verse; “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13, (and in my opinion, ALL includes losing weight too.)

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm so happy this has worked out for you and those you're helping!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight- Proverbs 3:6

Malachi 3:6 Do you have "issues?"