On the twenty-third day of Christmas my healthy habit is..."To be accountable to at least one person!" Telling everyone that I am trying to lose weight (or maintain) over the holidays may feel a little awkward, yet, having at least one person who will support, pray for and encourage me before and during tempting events can help to ensure I make healthier choices over the holiday season. "Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep His promises. Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works." Hebrews 10:22

On the twenty-second day of Christmas, my healthy habit is...."Think FIRST!" Seems like a logical step, but many of us find ourselves eating FIRST and thinking later. (And experiencing the consequences in the form of guilt and frustration!) The simplicity of being more aware of what I am putting in my body and why can be very effective in the long-term changes I am working toward! "Those who eat any kind of food, do so to honor the Lord, since they give thanks to God before eating." Romans 14:6

On the twenty-first day of Christmas, my healthy habit is....."To make adjustments where I can!" Did you know the average person will gain between 5-10 over the Holidays? If your focus cannot be on weight-loss, just make sure it's not on weight-GAIN! Too many holiday treats to avoid? Lighten up your main meals, drink that water and move your body! Remeber, simply weighing the same on Thanksgiving Day and New's Year's Day is Success itself! "As soon as I pray, you answer me; you encourage me by giving me strength." Psalm 138:3

On the twentieth day of Christmas my healthy habit is...."Don't stop baking! (Just don't bake your favorites!") Inspired by two of my favorite ladies (thanks Connie and Becky!) implementing this habit still allows for the sweet aromas of Christmas to fill your kitchen, just not with your favorite White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie! (That's mine:) Making the favorite treats of others this year leaves you with a special gift too; guilt-free baking (i.e I didn't lick the bowl clean and eat every crumb that fell! Thank you, Lord! "Taste and see that the Lord is good! Happy is the one who takes refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

On the nineteenth day of Christmas, my healthy habit is...."Find a new plate!" Did you know that some salad plates of today are the size of dinner plates in the 60's!? One of the biggest challenges of weight loss is not always what we eat, but simply how much! Make a conscious effort today to find a smaller dinner plate to better manage portions! Oh, and when eating out, the burger from the kid's menu? You guessed it! An adult hamburger in the 60's! "Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing." Psalm 143:10

On the eighteenth day of Christmas, my healthy habit is..."Remember that my weight loss/health and wellness is a battle like any other and can be fought and won with scripture!" Our weight loss battle is often created out of temptations and what better way to fight temptations than with God's word, Jesus did! When tempted in the wilderness by Satan himself Jesus replied, "People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4 Copy the one who overcame all temptations and watch your weight loss plans succeed!

On the seventeenth day of Christmas, my healthy habit is..."Never go more than 4 hours without eating!" At the four hour mark unhealthy cravings begin to creep in and the likelyhood of overeating increases dramatically! Keep an eye on the clock and your hand within the reach of an apple or other healthy snack every couple of hours, and you'll not only keep the doctor away, but the pounds too! "Happy is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding." Proverbs 3:13 Happiness awaits you today in healthy living!

On the sixteenth day of Christmas, my healthy habit is...."To remember that when I am at my weakest on, a breakthrough is just around the corner!" We have all been down this road before and if history repeats itself, many of us quit when it seems to get too hard. Persevere and change is on the horizon! "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God is with you. He will not fail or forsake you." 1Chronicles 28:20

On the fifteenth day of Christmas my healthy habit is...."Never skip breakfast!" It's not called the most important meal of the day for nothing, and many of us trying to lose weight think skipping it is a good way to save calories but we are WRONG! Countless studies have replicated the fact that those who eat a balanced breakfast filled with whole grains, fruits, and protein lose more weight and... keep it off longer than those who don't! One of my favorites: 1 cup cheerios (Kroger brand) with 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 sliced banana (and even a little Splenda if I need more sweetness!) At a little less than 200 calories and very little fat, it fills me up, gets me going and keeps me satisfied for a good part of the morning! "Wise choices will watch over you. Understanding will keep you safe." Proverbs 2:11

On the fourteenth day of Christmas, my healthy habit is...."Indulge in sweet treats only once a day!" One sure way of encouraging overeating on sweets is to completely eliminate them from our diets (especially this time of year.) Try allowing yourself ONE sweet treat everyday with a maximum on the calories and what the cravings and pounds disappear! "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." Isaiah 41:10 Don't fear your weaknesses, rely on God's strength!

On the thirteenth day of Christmas, my healthy habit is....To add "Boca" Burgers my meal plan staples!" At 100 calories for one "healthy-sized" burger, the original flavor is my favorite...Packing 19 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber, they are a super asset for weight loss....Try shopping for them at Sam's where you can purchase a box of 16 for $9.99, (that's just .$63 a burger!) "Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways. He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them His ways." Psalms 25:8,9

On the twelfth day of Christmas my healthy habit is...."To thank God right now for His plans for my health, wellness and weight loss." God wants me healthy...When I am at a healthy weight and healthy place in life, I have more confidence, energy and desire to serve Him, share his love with others and live the life I was created for! "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." We have a wonderful future waiting for us.....and to that God says, "Your Welcome!"

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my healthy habit is...to try shopping only the perimeter of the grocery store, just once! Did you know that the healthiest foods (and all my necessities) are found along the walls of a grocery store (produce, lean meats, dairy) and the highly processed (and unhealthy) foods are found up and down the middle aisles... Transform your shopping experience by shopping only the perimeter next time! "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you which is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

On the tenth day of Christmas, my healthy habit is...."To try one fruit or vegetable, I have never tried before!" God has created a rainbow of fruits and vegetables and most of us stick to apples, oranges, and peas and carrots! Vow to try a papaya, avocado or spaghetti squash and experience a new part of God's wonderful world! "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for yu, which is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight- Proverbs 3:6

Malachi 3:6 Do you have "issues?"