The Foundation
I am in search of a verse. A verse that will provide healing for dear friends who have lost children in the recent past and the pain is still raw. Friends, who instead of thinking about Christmas gatherings this week are focused on fighting for the custody of grandchildren. It’s a scenario, that in one form or another I have heard often in the past year, and my heart aches for those experiencing the pain.
A little more than two decades ago my family began a similar journey. Having lost her mother, my niece (whom I love like my sister) came to live with us. My brother, in the throes of the ugly disease of alcoholism was unable to provide the stability and love a five year old desperately needs, so my parents stepped in.
At the time, a situation like this seemed less than common. We took the journey, but knew of nearly no one else at the time, on a similar one.
It appears these days, that not only is the idea of grandparents raising children a very common reality, but the loss of children long before it should happen seems almost commonplace as well.
In the last three years, I have personally been touched (my brother lost his battle with addiction and went home to be with the Lord on January 26th, 2009) and know of at least six other families who have lost their children to suicide, addiction, car wrecks or other fatalities that should have been prevented.
I have no answers as to the “why’s” and “how’s” tragedies like these occur; but I do have hope. Hope I found in one place.
I didn’t find the hope in “getting on with life,” or “picking myself up and moving on.” I found my hope, peace, direction and shear “reason for moving on” in God’s word.
I was led to several passages that I “lived and breathed” for many months. Verses that gave me hope knowing that the pain, although always present would dull in time, and “everything works for the good of those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose” Romans 8:28.
This is not to say that death is good, it’s not. But it can be used for good. And that is what my family and I focus on everyday.
This may not be the verse needed for someone still experiencing the raw pain of a first Christmas without a loved one, or the first anniversary. So let me share with you God’s plans for your future; “So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.” 1 Peter 5:10
May you experience the gift of the “foundation being poured” this Christmas.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight- Proverbs 3:6

Malachi 3:6 Do you have "issues?"