Please Don’t Forget
As the anniversary of 9/11 passes, I begin to reflect on a statement one of the firemen who made it safely out of the south tower made over ten years ago; “I hope people don’t forget.” Although, in recent weeks, memorial services and TV programs provided us the somber reminders, I do fear forgetting.
I felt that way a little over two years ago as well. On January 26, 2009, my family lost my dear, sweet, loving, kind and generous brother. Lost to a brutal illness; a killer with an ugly face. Alcohol. He battled the disease for as long as I can remember and experienced wonderful periods of sobriety, wrecked by years of job loss, broken relationships and even homelessness.
It was this tragic loss in life that taught me so many lessons. I vowed to share his story every chance I was given. A story of hope in tragedy, a story of survival of the human spirit, and a story of God’s true grace, love and mercy in turmoil. In this way, I hope to “pay forward” to others experiencing similar pain, the lessons I have learned, and the hope I still cling to.
I have witnessed many friends and family “paying forward” their life lessons and sharing their incredible stories of survival. The sight of a butterfly will forever provide hope for me. A reminder that a dear friend lost her sweet son, yet by unleashing a flock of butterflies into the air at his graveside service his memory lives on and will be honored forever.
Books written by so many survivors of 9/11 keep the memories of those lost alive in our hearts. Telling stories of well-educated, motivated, loving husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and children, who lives didn’t deserve to be taken but whose memories deserve to live on.
How can I ensure that the memories of those lost in my own small world, as well as those on 9/11 live on? As I have with my own brother, I simply speak. I share my story, my lessons and my hope. The bible says, “So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support and strengthen you and he will place you on a firm foundation.” 1 Peter 5:10.
The breathtaking memorial of the twin towers is living proof of the power of that verse and a reminder that God is in control. We will suffer in this lifetime, however, suffering is not to last.
The wounds of lost loved ones, run deep, but God’s great love and mercy are far greater. “But I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice because you have rescued me.” Psalm 13:5.
So as you prepare to “pay forward” your stories and lessons, I offer you the wisdom of one of the most memorable heroes for me on 9/11, “LET’S ROLL.”

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear about your brother. Thanks for sharing the story though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight- Proverbs 3:6

Malachi 3:6 Do you have "issues?"