Day Thirteen-Ecclesiastes 10:10

"That's the value of wisdom, it helps you succeed." Ecclesiastes 10:10

A new and very dear friend of mine introduced me to a challenge last night. "Do you have your word for the year?" "Word for the year?" "Yes, the word that defines who and what you want to be this year." "Wow." I thought for a few seconds and quickly realized that I don't just have one word, I have a string of words, a sentence you might say. Perseverence, strength, patience, peace, all come to mind when I think about what I want to be in 2011. That's a problem, in and of itself. I am so focused on ALL that I want to be, I cannot truly have success in any one area. Then, this morning, I was reminded of a short prayer.
THE SERENITY PRAYER
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the WISDOM to know the difference."
There it was! My word! I have spent a great number of years and energy believing I can change everything and everyone. I spent years and energy trying to change my brother, my dad and so many other people and situations. (Hence, my Bachelor's degree and early career path in Mental Health/Human Services.) Take it from me, it doesn't work. And, worse, the grief, anxiety, frustration we take on as a result of trying is physically, mentally, and spiritually paralyzing. The author of the Serenity prayer understands this too. Wisdom. Such a strong, powerful and deeply necessary word for all aspects of life. Wisdom can keep me from danger. Wisdom can help me to solve problems. Wisdom can help me make better food choices. And most of all, wisdom can teach me the powerful lesson that I cannot change others, but by changing me, I have an impact on them! The power in that knowledge will keep me from unnecessary stress, grief, and anxiety. Interestingly enough, those are the negative feelings that most often cause me to overeat! Wisdom! My word for the year! What's yours? Feel free to share mine, or find another for yourself. But, I pray you have the Wisdom to pick a work, just one word and allow God to work in your life to cultivate and develop that word deeply into your character and life!
Thanks for reading
Love,
Julie

Comments

  1. Awesome post! Wow, do I need wisdom! Maybe I'll share your word!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight- Proverbs 3:6

Malachi 3:6 Do you have "issues?"