Day Sixteen-Isaiah 26:3

"You will keep in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, whose thoughts are fixed on you." Isaiah 26:3

"You always have time for the things you put first."
A quote used often in weight-loss meetings. Why? Because for most women (and men) our number one reason for not joining a weight-loss program, or spending our time and energy on losing weight and getting healthy, is a lack of "time." (Followed by a close second: Money.) Both were my reasons at one point. "I would love to join Weight Watchers, I just don't have the money." (But hey, I just got a 30% coupon in the mail for Kohl's and I desperately NEED some new throw pillows and an area rug for the front hall, and with my discount it's only going to cost me around $100! Then, I get two, $10 rewards, that I can spend next month!) Or, "I just don't have the time to go to a 30-minute weight-loss meeting." (But, guess what? The new season of American Idol is starting this week! I will NOT miss an episode, and for the first month, they are two hours long! Yes!)
I now realize, thankfully, that I could not afford NOT to have joined Weight Watchers back on November 30th, 2005, because it has changed my life. The fifty pounds I lost have freed me to serve Christ in a way that was not possible before. My mind was a constant cloud of anxiety, depression, guilt and frustration when I was fifty pounds heavier. Who can hear God in all of that? With the weight gone, I could more consistently focus on my walk with the Lord and hear his plans for my life more clearly. (Plans he has for all of us, Jeremiah 29:11.)
This also brought about the realization in another area of my life, where I had "no time" to focus. Regular bible study. Why? My "to do" list was too long, (must watch Dr. Oz today, episode on headaches, and I have them!) my life too hectic (ten library events this week, can't miss any of them because I homeschool, and my children may miss out on the social and cognitive interaction they must receive from group activities or I will have failed them!) my schedule too busy, (appointment to get my nails done today, two hours; acrylics!). When my schedule lightens up, I will spend time daily studying God's word, but until then, daily prayer time will be sufficient.
Once again, God brought it to my attention that I could not afford NOT to spend time in his word on a daily basis. By doing so, I now realize how unnecessary the above items and events were in my life. I don't need Dr. Oz, Christ takes away my headaches, when I read about his unending love and blessings for me. He has also helped me to discern what is most important for educating my children and I am less influenced by the "shoulds" and "oughttas" of the world. And nails? My God loves them just the way they are, short and chipped! (Now, occasionally I still buy the "glue-ons" from Walgreen's. $6 and 5 minutes to apply! I'm not perfect, but progressing! :)
What do you "not have time or money" for today? Weight-loss? Bible study? Your husband? Your kids? Your bills? Return your focus to Christ and allow him to re-evaluate your "To-Do list" and checkbook. Watch, listen, and enjoy your new "Top Things To Do Today!" (I bet it includes reading the bible!)
Thanks for reading!
In His Love,
Julie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight- Proverbs 3:6

Malachi 3:6 Do you have "issues?"