Day Four-Matthew 11:28

"Come to me all who are weary and carry heavy burdens,
and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28
The weekend wasn't quite long enough. I did not get the rest I so needed and hoped for. (Did I mention that I have a three year old who still gets up every night and wants me to come to bed with her? And did I mention that she is a very, very restless sleeper and talks in her sleep too?) Nonetheless, Monday is here and the tasks beckon. My first inclination is to make my to-do list in order of necessity, and begin my plan of attack. The problem? I've too much to do and not enough time in the day. Sound familiar? Did I mention I was tired? My head is pounding, and my children are rowdy. Matthew 11:28 comes to mind. Come to me.....Have I done that? I think so. I said my prayers, asked for a good day, protection over my husband, children, family and friends....Why do I still feel so burdened? Maybe because I have not truly "come" to the Lord in the sense that he means. I have shouted from afar, half-heartedly asking for help, while in my mind still trying to figure out how "I" was going to get through the day. Like an injured child, who calls for help, but chooses not to rest in the arms of his mother, but runs to his room. Later realizing, laying in the arms of his mother who gently kisses away the tears is exactly what he needed. The rest I need won't come from sleep and half-hearted prayer, it will come from going all the way to the throne, laying down at the foot of Jesus and bathing in his promise of "rest." I don't need sleep (well, I do but...) I need the kind of rest Jesus promises. A promise to get me through the day, to guide my every decision, to offer success where I see failure.....
Isn't that the kind of rest we all need on a Monday?
Come, all the way, to Jesus with your burdens of weight-loss, relationships, finances.....and find rest!
May God provide you with the "rest" you need today, so that you will conquer the tasks and find great success!
Thanks for reading,
Love,
Julie
Other scripture for this devotion:
1Peter 5:7

Comments

  1. I'm totally guilty of sort of praying "generic" prayers then trying to take care of things myself. Great & helpful post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight- Proverbs 3:6

Malachi 3:6 Do you have "issues?"